Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Monday, April 30, 2012

All about perspective.

It's funny when you revisit something that you haven't seen or heard in years, the thought processes that occur. I've been in the process of "rediscovering" quite a bit lately. My current favorite is music. Well, my like for music isn't new. I've had since I started taking piano lessons in like 4th grade. Even at that age my like for the "off the beaten path" music was evident. My favorites you might ask? Carole King, Elton John and Scott Joplin. Quite an eclectic mix. My teacher at the time was Richard Zana. He has since moved on to that big band in the sky but he fed that hunger for the music I liked. If we couldn't find music he simply wrote it. Still have some of it but haven't played in years. Add that to the bucket list.

But, for now, I'm back to the different types of music. I spent my High School years in the 70's so naturally what music would be my favorite? Was than and still is. I recently found a link to the music site Spotify. If you like music it's the best thing since sliced bread. Really. Today I made the mistake of bringing up a 70's playlist. Now, these aren't things I would pick but it's a list that someone else put together. This one has a bit of everything in it. What is really scary is, I remember this stuff. I'm talking about groups like Abba, Carole King, The Doubie Brothers, ELO, CCR and the list goes on. Most of this list is just playing in my ears as I work. Deep down in the list came this song that made me stop what I was doing. This one was from the late 70's but I remembered it like it was yesterday. It was from a movie about Janis Joplin (also a favorite). The movie starred Bette Midler as Janis. The movie portrayed the life of Janis Joplin cut short by drugs and alcohol. I don't remember much about the movie but I do remember this song. You see, back then it was just music. Today it started as that but I listened to the words. Then I looked them up. Here is what I found.

 Some say love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed.
Some say love, it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed.
Some say love, it is a hunger,
An endless aching need.
I say love, it is a flower,
And you its only seed.

It's the heart afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance.
It's the dream afraid of waking
That never takes the chance.
It's the one who won't be taken,
Who cannot seem to give,
And the soul afraid of dyin'
That never learns to live.

When the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only
For the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snows
Lies the seed that with the sun's love
In the spring becomes the rose. 

Maybe it's looking at them through 50 something eyes, maybe they just brought back the memories of that time long ago. Whichever it is, the perspective has certainly changed. The words have meaning now. They aren't just a song anymore. Things have changed tremendously since I first heard that song. Not all necessarily for the good.  Reading down through those lyrics is reason to pause.

Where is that bucket list.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home