Name:
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States

Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Just another day in the UK.

So anyone that's traveled can relate.......

This past Sunday was one of those days. Traveling to the UK on business quickly turned bad. Now it's all back to normal now but for a brief moment, BAD was the word of the day.
It all started so good. Flight out of Pittsburgh.. on-time. Flight out of Philadelphia destined for London.. on-time. Airline food on British Airways.. actually very good. Landing at Heathrow.. smooth. The time: 6:30AM.

After sitting on the tarmac for probably half hour we were being parked out away from the terminal. They had buses, didn't know they still did that, to take us to the terminal. Off goes the nearly 300 folks ready to get up and move after 7 hours. Next stop. CUSTOMS. That's uneventful, at least for me, and it's off to baggage. Now up to this point it was great. Got to the baggage pick-up and there it was, ONE of my bags. Patiently I wait and wait and wait.

This is where the BAD started.

Almost an hour after seeing my first bag I trooped to the LOST or MISPLACED Luggage counter. Standing behind a women that can't spell "blue", the color of all four of her lost bags, my patience is being tested. Finally, my turn. I tell them my story and the best they can do is tell me they'll try to track it down. The current time.. 9:30. Three hours and counting.

As to not repeat my driving experience from the previous visit I had prescheduled a car to pick me up and drive me to Winchester. Problem is, the driver got tired of waiting and left for home. On the phone with the company asking where my driver was. They turned him around and sent him back. After probably an hour waiting, I see a very distinguished, but mind you pissed, Englishman walking toward me with a sign bearing my companies name on it. Without a word, he sees me and about faces. Luggage, all one of them, in the trunk and off we go. After a bit he tells me he waited from 7:30 until 9:00 and left. By the time we arrived in Winchester it was close to 11:30.

So couldn't get any worse you say???
I go into the hotel, The Wessex, and am told my room has been CANCELED! I wanted to laugh but now I was the pissed one. I asked how a room that was GUARANTEED, their word, was canceled. The very pleasant, English sounding girls behind the counter looks on in disbelief. She tells me, "don't worry, we'll just uncanceled it". For the first time in the 24 hours of traveling something actually went well. But the problem remains........ no cloths for work the next day.

From that point I called a co-worker who promptly drove over and we went to eat. Yes, in the face of disaster, you EAT. A couple beers usually help. Then it's off to find something to wear. Not usually difficult, but styles in the UK and the US differ slightly and so do the prices. Found a plain shirt and said a prayer for my luggage.

Now, remember the compliments about British Airways in flight service? Well I'm hear to tell you the service on the ground isn't the same. Calling the customer service number I am directed to the Lost Luggage folks. The result is a recording telling me all Representatives are busy call back later and they hang up. Reason, high caller volume!! Bad omen! After repeated tries I go to the Internet. There I find out my bag was located just before midnight, where.. no clue, and it was delivered to my hotel at 12:15. And guess what, it was actually there when I got back to my room.

Just another day in the UK.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home